February 15, 2023
National legal experts and students will join the Feb. 24 symposium
This calendar year marks The Scholar’s 25th anniversary as a legislation journal. Mainly because of this substantial milestone, the roster of speakers is stuffed with distinguished customers of the Texas authorized neighborhood. Embracing the concept of “Constitutional Improvements and Navigating the Regulation,” the party will function various attorneys, professors of legislation and community officials presenting on authorized changes in their follow location over the very last 25 a long time.
The Yearly Symposium usually takes position from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 24, at The DoSeum, 2800 Broadway St. Breakfast and lunch will be provided, and the Mariachi Orgullo del Surfrom Graebner Elementary College will complete.
The symposium program and checklist of speakers involve:
- A panel speaking about the ever-modifying landscape of constitutional prison rights, featuring:
- The Hon. Rosie Speedlin Gonzalez (J.D. ’01) — Bexar County Courtroom 13
- Joe Gonzales (B.A. ’81, J.D. ’88) — Bexar County District Legal professional
- Gerald Goldstein, J.D. — Nationally renowned felony protection lawyer and Senior Associate at Goldstein & Orr
- Matthew Howard (J.D. ’13) and Lauren Zamora (J.D. ’04) — Running Director and Attorney at the Bexar County District Attorney’s Business Conviction Integrity Unit
- Moderated by Alexandra Klein, J.D. — Assistant Professor of Law at the St. Mary’s University Faculty of Legislation
- Amy Hardberger, J.D. — Professor of Regulation at Texas Tech College Faculty of Legislation and Director for the Center for Water Law and Policy
- Jeff Wurzburg, J.D., LL.M. — Senior Counsel at Norton, Rose, Fulbright LLP, Chair of the American Bar Association Wellbeing Regulation Part Managed Care Fascination Team, and former lawyer at the U.S. Department of Wellbeing and Human Expert services Business office of the Basic Counsel
- Suzanne Patrick, J.D., and Krista Anderson, M.Ed. — Director of the Office of Equal Prospect Expert services and Title IX Coordinator at the University of Texas San Antonio, and Systemwide Title IX Coordinator for the College of Texas Process
- Liza Garcia, M.B.A., J.D. (M.A. ’11) — Handling Immigration Legal professional at the Catholic Charities Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston
- Charles Rhodes, J.D. — Professor of Law and Charles Weigel II Analysis Professor of State and Federal Constitutional Legislation at the South Texas College of Law Houston
- Dale Carpenter, J.D. — Decide William Hawley Atwell Chair of Constitutional Legislation, Altschuler Distinguished Educating Professor and Professor of Legislation at SMU Dedman School of Legislation
The Scholar researches and publishes scholarly articles or blog posts determining authorized and social challenges adversely affecting minority and susceptible populations.
The 2023 Once-a-year Symposium gives 6.75 continuing authorized instruction credit hrs, such as 1 ethics credit history hour. Registration expenditures $115 for lawyers, $75 for governing administration attorneys/employees and non-lawyers, $30 for immigration volunteers and $20 for learners.
Registration and additional particulars are readily available on the celebration web site. This celebration is designed feasible as a result of the sponsorship of Terry Bassham (J.D. ’85) and Zulema Carrasco Bassham.